Latest Posts

I tried to lose 10lbs in 10 days

By 08:08:00

So. Much. Kale.


Summer is pretty much here, and with it the inevitable wave of new-age diet plans, meal replacement remedies and over-the-top methods to aid us in our endless quest to be deemed ‘bikini ready’. A few ladies in my office have been trialing various different diet plans, so, me being the competitive, sporting lass that I am, decided to join them.
            The diet I decided to choose was a free, shortened version of Haylie Pomroy’s “The Burn” diet I found on the Daily Fail’s website. An extreme, intense and very strict diet plan, The Burn claims to help users lose 10lbs in 10 days. Sounded good to me.
            The diet works by supposedly “resetting errant hormones” which for a variety of health-related reasons might be malfunctioning and causing the body to grow more fat cells than required. It claims that the combination of ingredients used in the ten days work together to stimulate fat-burning enzymes in the body, whilst also supporting specific organs required to get your hormone function back on track. This allegedly resets the entire digestive system, making your body a purported “fat-burning machine”.

So what do you have to do?

The diet is mainly focussed around eating little or no carbs, no dairy and no sugar. Each meal is washed down with a cup of special tea made from limes, detox tea bags and turmeric. Breakfast each day consists of a kale, spinach, beetroot, orange and sunflower seed smoothie, and lunch and dinner are variable, taking one of the many low-fat, low-carb recipes as well as a bowl of very green soup. Snacks include specific fruits, unlimited cucumber or celery sticks, and kale crisps.

Is it as bad as it sounds?

Pretty much. The detox tea, when made to the recipe which stipulates that you steep the tea in water for over an hour, is extremely strongly flavoured and certainly takes some getting used to. Even with a small amount of stevia allowed in the plan, it’s pretty sour.
The breakfast smoothie isn’t actually bad at all. The first day I made it was quite lumpy and difficult to get down- however on subsequent days I blended it for much longer and it was far better. The orange/grapefruit provide a much needed bit of moisture and sweetness to break through the vegetable flavours, making the smoothie actually quite pleasant!
The soup is really nice, for the first day or so. Then you realise you literally have to eat this twenty times in ten days and it all gets a bit too much. By the end of the ten days, I realised I’d actually rather be hungry than eat another bowl, so took it down to just one bowl a day. It’s also *really* filling, so I’d advise to have a little less than the recipe says to eat in one sitting.
Overall I think my previous point sums up this diet – whilst most of the food and drinks you are required to have aren’t necessarily unpleasant, the amount you’re required to consume them makes you so bored that by the end of the week the thought of another cup of sour tea makes you want to cry. It was certainly more of a mental challenge than a physical one for me. I had no problems with feeling hungry or unsatisfied, but the boredom and monotony of eating and drinking the same foods for ten days was maddening.

The main meals.



Most of the meal recipes in the plan were actually really nice – and there is some flexibility here with an added list of "allowed foods" which could be combined to make another meal (I really took advantage of this). Some of this, however, seemed way more restrictive than the set meals. For example, whilst there’s a tuna salad on the recipes list with added hummus, olive oil and pine nuts, if I was to make my own tuna salad from the allowed foods list, I would only be allowed one can of tuna, one portion of either oil, avocado, olives or seeds and one handful of cos lettuce. So the meal plans are much tastier and flexible.
I tried most of the set meals on the recipe list, apart from the fish ones. Because I was doing it on my own and the recipes make two portions each, I would have one portion for dinner and take the other portion to work the next day (prompting many admiring comments from my colleagues!). My favourite of all the recipes was definitely the Asian-style prawns, which I’ll make even when I’m not dieting now. Other recipes I really enjoyed were the chicken and avocado salad with coconut-mango dressing; tuna salad; egg salad; rosemary chicken and veggie quiche to name a few. The dishes, whilst being totally carb free and very low in fat, are actually really large and filling, leaving you feeling very satisfied.

Did it actually work?

Not a bad difference for 10 days!

In the ten days of doing the diet, I lost 7lbs. But there’s a confession to come with this. By the end of the first five or six days, my fridge was nearly empty, having spent over £50 on ingredients to start with. Frankly, to keep this up, bearing in mind I was doing this solo rather than as a couple, I would have ended up spending well over £100 on food to keep going for the whole ten days. During the final few days I did ‘cheat’ a few times, using veggies in my fridge that technically weren’t part of the allowed foods list, as well as giving up entirely on the green soup. I also think it’s fairly unrealistic for a normal adult to consume 450g of fresh spinach for breakfast, as well as 225g kale and the other ingredients. The smoothie was well over a pint of liquefied veggies when made to the recipe, and quite frankly I couldn’t physically finish it!
            Having said that, I didn’t cheat at all on carbs or sugar. I made sure each meal, even if not technically part of the regulated list of foods, was carefully balanced and super-healthy. The last two days, I did treat myself to an actual cup of tea, milk and everything. The sour tea finally got too much for me, and whilst it did the job it was supposed to do (help to, ahem, activate the digestive tract), I couldn’t face another mouthful of the sour, turmericky taste.
            If nothing else, the diet certainly taught me a lot about myself. It took real willpower to stop eating the dreaded dairy so – condemned by Haylie in the diet plan, and made me realise just how much gluten and sugar I consume on an average day. I was pretty happy with my weight loss, and feel my diet has certainly been changed for the better. I’m now committed to eating much fewer gluten-rich foods, eating more green veg and drinking much more water. The diet certainly works if you’re looking for a quick fix to lose some weight before an event, whether it resets you’re bodily hormone function for good is certainly doubtful, however. But I’m glad I rose to this challenge, and am happy to say my attitude towards food has certainly been changed for the good.


            You can check out the full diet plan and recipes here

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. Interesting read! Think I will give it a whirl myself - trying to lose weight before my graduation!

    ReplyDelete